Start Menu Missing Items
All of a sudden, the Run and Search options are missing from the Windows XP Start Menu. What caused this, and how can I get them back?
- Right-click on the Start button
- Click on Properties
- Select the Start Menu tab
- Press the Customize button
- Select the Advanced tab
- Scroll down through the Start menu items list
- Check the box next to Search and/or Run
- Press OK twice
If that doesn't work because the item was already checked, then UNcheck it, press OK, go back in and then REcheck it. Some people report this works for them. If you still don't the menu item back, and you're on a Windows 2000 system, try this to get your Run button back:
- Use Windows Explorer to find gpedit.msc (probably c:\winnt\system32\gpedit.msc) then double click on it to launch the Group Policy Editor.
- Go to User configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu & Toolbar
- Double click on Remove Run from start menu
- Select Disable, then press OK
It might sound backwards, but there's a double negative there... You're disabling the removal of the the Run button.
Posted by Bob Rankin on 26 Sep 2006
For Fun: Buy Bob a Snickers.
Need More Help? Try the AskBobRankin Updates Newsletter. It's Free!
The Top Twenty
Link to this article from your site or blog. Just copy and paste from this box:
Post your Comments, Questions or Suggestions
Free Tech Support -- Ask Bob Rankin
Subscribe to AskBobRankin Updates: Free Newsletter
Copyright © 2005
- Bob Rankin - All Rights Reserved
Article information: AskBobRankin -- Start Menu Missing Items (Posted: 26 Sep 2006)
Copyright © 2005 - Bob Rankin - All Rights Reserved